7 Diet Habits to prepare you for Pregnancy
While you are preparing to conceive it is important to eat the right food that compliments your conception process. Some of the foods that comprise of the essential nutrients required for pregnancy are:
- Folic acid: Any woman who is trying to conceive should consume 400 mcg of folic acid to prevent neural tube defects in baby. Doctors recommend folic acid consumption 3 months before conception.
- High quality protein: Protein is the building block of any human cell, it helps in both growth and repair. So when you are trying to conceive consuming 0.8g to 2g of protein per kg of body weight is recommended. Few lean cut proteins suggested are chicken, beef, fish, egg whites, pulses, milk etc,.
- Omega-3-fatty acid: Good fats are another important ingredient for the well-being of the mother and baby. These good fats modulate your cholesterol levels and keep them under excellent control. Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids are fish oil, walnuts, eggs, olive oil etc,.
- Low-fat dairy: Yogurt or curd are powerful probiotic foods and are essential for replenishment of gut health. So, high portion of curd each day is a must.
- Fruits: Every woman who is thinking of having a baby should consume 3-4 portions of fruits everyday as they are powerful antioxidants. Having forethought of gestational diabetes, it is wise to always stick to fruits which have low glycemic index. Some fruits of choice are guava, pomegranate and citrus fruits like oranges, sweet lime, plums etc,
- Veggies: The king ingredient of your everyday diet should be green leafy vegetables. These are loaded with rich vitamins and minerals that a mother would need during her pregnancy. They are also a rich source of fibre to keep a pregnant mom’s bowel to mobilize without hassles.
- Drinking water: Intake of copious amounts of water flushes all the toxins in our body. So nutritionist recommends at least 3-4 litres of water every day for the general well-being of those trying to conceive.
A carefully laid diet that includes all the above said foods makes a wholesome bundle of nutrition to any woman who is trying to conceive. However, if you are man who is trying for a baby, then zinc rich foods are recommended for you, along with foods mentioned above, other than folic acid which is mandatory only for women.